Monday, September 17, 2007

I don't know about you guys,
but I’m angry, I’m upset, this has gone far enough.
it has to stop.

I'm doing this for my friend, my brother and my twin
Oluwatomi Sonaike, who took his life because he couldn't take it anymore. Yes i agree Tomi should have hung on a bit longer and gotten some help. But he never should have been pushed at all, no young person should have to be subjected to that kind of pressure.

That hell we called school, it's time we stood up and took a stand, and burn down that system that has turned wonderful young men and women of our great country Nigeria into monsters.

Don't get me wrong, lag was fun, but we did go through hell, all of us, from the first class student to the one who had the indignity of having to wait behind to kiss some lecturers butt so he could graduate. Knowing Tomi, he wouldn't kiss anyone's butt even if it was coated with sugar. (Not so sure about that really especially if it was a chick).

I hope over the coming weeks and months to continue to highlight the many challenges faced by so many young people in Nigeria and how we are killing our future by allowing reckless men abuse power for no just reason.

5 comments:

Ade said...

I agree, this nonsense has gone far enough. People like that, and I mean those frustrated lecturers need to be dealt with, and the system flushed.
Young people should NOT be allowed to go through that kind of madness...
The madness that cost me a friend.

Afam Anigbo said...

I agree too. Unilag... In fact our educational system has a lot of maggots dat need to be flushed out. We have sadistic people who deprive some kinda sick, twisted joy in frustrating people.

I understand a lecturer wanting to keep education standards high. I understand members of staff avoiding bending the rules in order to produce high quality graduates. But the attitude of some of these lecturers is at best antagonistic and sadistic

Fine we've all mourned our amigo turing. But we need to do something to ensure this never happens again. Who knows it could be worse next time.

RIP Turin.

Daydah said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Those people need to start paying for their sins very soon.
They have frustrated so many people's lives - do you know that Biggie is still in school?
Imagine that

Unknown said...

when was the last time u talked to ur friend that shot himself?... .... did u call him often?...
did u guys reach out to him before this?

Unknown said...

wow,i live in london now,but i gained my first degree in nigeria in law from the worst uni in the world.O.A.U.ife..i went through a baptism of fire,started uni in 1995 and did not finish until 2002.strike aside,i was subject to non-challant lecturers "losing" my results and telling me to re-enrol.or come and meet them at designated "pleasure spots".
i never succumbed to such.finished a year after my contemporaries(lots of whom,as i heard,succumed to such vices).i am no angel,hell no,but id rather die than spread my thighs for some dirty lecherous lecturer(but gallons of fuel,new tyres etc went towards my graduation..if you get what i mean).
in the end i got a 2.2 degree(at that stage couldnt give a fuk if i got a pass.)got on the next available flight to london,took a masters degree and now work in a fantastic company.
i understand what tomi went through.because there were days i felt like driving my car over the dam in ife and just ending it all.
may his soul rest in perfect peace and i pray the lecturer/system that pushed him to this will never find peace.
amiin